This was my all-time favorite dish as a kid. I mean what is not to love about pasta covered in cheese and zucchini? So of course when I left for college it became one of the first recipes I learned to make on my own.
Not only do I still love the taste of this dish but the ingredients are cheap and it is easy to make. The only downside is that it does not warm up well. If you are going to make zucchini pasta cook for enough people to eat it one in sitting. No judgement on how many, or few, servings you find in this recipe (I’m always confused as to how Ben & Jerry’s calculates four servings in their ice cream pints but I digress).
6 to 8 small zucchini, sliced rounds (1/8″ thick)
½ cup olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
1 box rigatoni
2 eggs, beaten
½ pound mozzarella, grated
½ cup freshly grated Parmesan Cheese
- Bring a pot of water to a boil for the pasta.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the zucchini and cook until it reaches your desired texture. I prefer my zucchini to be soft so I cook it for 25 minutes but if you prefer to cook your zucchini for less time that it is fine as well.
- While the zucchini is cooking beat two eggs in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Once the water is boiling add salt to the water and then add the pasta.
- Once the pasta is al dente, drain it and return to the pot. Working quickly, add the eggs to the pasta and mix until all noodles are coated. It is critical to do this quickly so that the heat from the pasta can cook the eggs. Once the eggs have been incorporated slowly add the mozzarella and parmesan cheeses and sautéed zucchini. Make sure to continuously stir until all of the ingredients have been added.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve with more parmesan at the table.